Monday, February 6, 2012

Out cold

So this weekend I've slept a total of 41 hours, though not consecutively, thankfully.  I was half expecting some dwarves to appear and expect me to bowl with them.   (I'm sure someone with a literary background will get the reference).  Normally that's not a bad thing, really, though I've slept more than I can remember.  Guess I needed it.  It's weird, my life, having rotating a schedule for the last 20 years.  You think I'd be used to it, somehow.  If it was standardized in some way, that'd help, but more often than not it's pretty random.  A 12-hour mid-shift here, a dayshift there and back again the next day.  All for 20 years.  I think for all my suffering I should get a Dodge Viper prize!

Sleeping is something I value a lot.  I think it's beneficial.  Some people say, "You can sleep when you're dead."  An almost clever sentiment but have you seen these folks?  They look roughReally rough.  Now, I'm a spry 42, but if I wash out the gray in my hair and clean-shave, I've been mistaken for 28 or younger.  I remember a sweet girlfriend (named after Miss Universe 1970) who's parents were from Puerto Rico (a land I'm finally visiting soon) who's dad touted the benefits of sleep.  I didn't think much of it at the time.  I belive his name was Eduardo.  He was actually a nice guy.  Well, over the last 10 years or so, I get it.  Sleep is vital.  Cats can live up to 20+ years if given an environment they can sleep in, outside cats live about 5 or 6 years, alley-cats 2 or 3.  At fisrt, I expected I'd live to be 55 and call it quits.  Kaput.  Dead.  But now at my rate of clean livin' (occasional cigars and whiskey) I fully expect to live to be 100.  Look-out, Smuckers!

A doc took some bloodwork and asked me what it was I did to keep healthy?  I explained, "Mt.Dew and cheeseburgers!"  No lie, there.  Granted, you can't eat 30 of them.  I find the "one a day" on the cheeseburger scale "The Cronis Chart" is good.  As for Mt.Dew, depending on Diet, Throwback, CodeRed, etc.  I find under 40oz is good, so less than 4 cans per day is best, or two 20oz bottles.  Do it.  Do the DEW!

..and sleep, perchance to dream?

No comments:

Post a Comment